International Students


Studienkolleg - Center for International Students

Visa and Residency Requirements

Prospective students from non-EU countries need a student visa (residence permit for the purpose of studying in Germany) to gain entry to the country.

Student Visa

You can obtain a student visa from the German Embassy or Consulate in your home country if you:

  1. - have received our certificate recognition (Zeugnisanerkennung) or
    - have been invited to the Studienkolleg Entrance Test

  2. and can prove that you have adequate financial means, at least good basic skills in German and a health insurance policy. For further details please contact your German Embassy or Consulate.

The procedure is as follows:
Step 1: Apply at the Studienkolleg for validation
Step 2: Submit the Studienkolleg certification to the German Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

Foreigners holding a tourist visa may participate in the Studienkolleg Entrance Exam and the German Language Test DSH but cannot enroll at a university.

Prospective students have to register with the local registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt) and the foreigners registration office (Ausländeramt) within 8 days after arriving in Germany.


For the living expens in Germany a student needs at least 680,- Euros a month. You need to have this money, it is not possible to earn it through student jobs.


For more details go to the website of the DAAD

Deutschen Akademischen Austausch Dienstes - DAAD
(German Academic Exchange Services)