Cost of Living
To live and study in Germany, you need at least 680 EUR per month. This sum includes the estimated cost of accommodation, food, transportation, leisure, study materials and health insurance.
Universities in Baden-Württemberg have introduced tuition fees of 1,500 EUR per semester for international students for all study programs. In addition to that, fees of 150 EUR have to be paid each semester.
Admission to a university or Studienkolleg is only granted if proof of proper health insurance can be provided. The cost of private health insurance for international students is currently about 60 EUR a month.
Scholarships and Financial Support
No scholarships are offered by universities in Baden-Württemberg. Scholarships for studying in Germany are offered by the DAAD. Detailed information and application documents can be found on the DAAD website.
Scholarships of the DAAD
Information on scholarships can also be obtained from the German Embassies and Consulates. In Germany, scholarships are also funded by political parties, churches, unions and large corporations.
Financial Support for Study Purposes ("BAföG")
In accordance with the Federal Law on Financial Support for Study Purposes ("BAföG") international students are eligible for financial support under the following conditions only:
1. Children of EU-citizens in possession of a residence permit.
2. under special circumstances
- stateless persons,
- persons granted political asylum,
- persons having one parent who is a German citizen.
3. others if
- foreigners having lived and worked in Germany for 5 years prior to commencement of studies,
- prospective foreign students having at least one parent of whom lived and worked in Germany on a regular basis for at least 3 years in the 6 years before commencement of studies.
Please contact your local BAföG office to find out if you are eligible for a BAföG scholarship. In Konstanz please contact the student union Seezeit.
BAföG scholarship at the student union Seezeit