Campus Life

    Studying doesn’t only mean learning! In order to help make the beginning of your studies easier, we have put together tips for finding an apartment, financing your studies, getting scholarships as well as information about studying in “paradise”.

    How Much Will Your Studies Cost?

    The cost of studying at the HTWG Konstanz – University of Applied Sciences depends on students’ home country:

    Students from the EU/EWR pay only a semester fee of 162.50 €. The semester fee consists of administrative fees (70 €) and student union fees (92,50€) zusammen.

    International studentsfrom outside the EU/EWR studying in the state of Baden-Württemberg (or German/European students pursuing a second degree at the HTWG Konstanz) are required to pay the following tuition:

    International students: 1,500 € per semester.

    Students pursuing a second degree: 650 €.

    In both cases, students are also required to pay the semester fees (162.50 €) mentioned above.

    The tuition and fees must be paidwhen you enroll. You will receive the details for the bank transfer along with your letter of acceptance.

    More Info about tuition

    More info about the semester fees

    Monthly Costs

    In addition to the semester fee and tuition, don’t forget to calculate the costs for your rent, insurance, student ticket, food and leisure activities.
    According to the German National Association for Student Affairs (DSW), the average cost of living in Germany for a single full-time student, living alone or in a shared flat in the first year of the their studies, is about 819 Euros per month (calculated for summer semester, 2016).

    How do I finance my studies?

    Studying can be expensive. In order to cover your monthly costs, you will need some kind of regular income. This income could come from scholarships, financial aid or part-time jobs. In terms of financial aid, the most well-known institution in Germany is BAföG (the Federal Training Assistance Act). There are also a number of other scholarships available to students. Below is a list of other ways you might finance your studies:

    Financial Information for International Students
    International students are also eligible to apply for scholarships and hardship funds. Please contact the International Office or Intercultural Center for more information.

    • Student Loans

      In addition to the BaföG financial aid, the German government also provides student loans for college and high school students. These student loans are based on your parents’ income and assets. For more information and how to apply, please go to the Central Service Agency of the Federal Government (Bundesverwaltungsamt) website.

      Repayment Calculator for Student Loans

    • Seezeit Hardship Funds

      For students experiencing financial hardship both during and at the end of their studies, the Seezeit offers interest-free loans up to a maximum of 2,000 €. The loan requires that two people with a regular income in Germany co-sign the loan. You can get information and applications from the Seezeit Social Counseling Office.

    • Emergency Support

      Seezeit Emergency Support
      The Seezeit Emergency Support offers financial support for students in an acute financial situation that can’t be covered by other social programs or income. This is intended to help students continue to pursue their studies in difficult times. Students can receive payments of up to 300 € for a maximum of three consecutive months. You can find information about the emergency support funds here

      KHG Emergency Funds
      Students at the two Konstanz universities who are experiencing severe financial difficulties due to external circumstances (such as medical expenses not covered by their insurance) can apply for a one-time emergency grant from the KHG (Catholic Community at the Universities of Konstanz). Please note that you must be able to document your financial situation.

    • Student Loans

      If the money you receive from BaföG or your parents is not sufficient to cover your costs, you can also apply for additional student loans to help you through a difficult financial situation. Take the time to consider whether or not to take out a loan, and look into the different options before making your decision – because loans include interest that also must be paid back, and the contract terms for student loans can vary significantly. There are restrictions in terms of age, citizenship, major etc. The CHE-student-loan-test 2018 compared 46 common student loans.

      The most well-known of these is the KfW student loan. The Seezeit Social Counseling Office can give you detailed information and help you in the application process for a KfW loan.

    Tips for Financing Your Studies
    Mark, a first-semester student at the HTWG, tells you about how to finance your studies in the following video. He explains how to apply for BaföG, how to get a scholarship and where you can find part-time jobs. Mrs. Alina Wolf from the HTWG Konstanz Student Advising Center provides some additional tips.

    Link to Video "Tips for Financing Your Studies" (in German)

    Part-Time Jobs

    Students often take on part-time jobs during their studies to earn a little extra money or gain experience for their future careers. Typical questions that arise involve taxes or social and health insurance. The German National Association for Student Affairs (DSW) provides extensive information and many useful tips about part-time jobs, such as:

    •  Short-term, minimum wage employment
    •  Student employee jobs
    •  Vacation jobs
    •  Midi jobs
    •  Minimum wage
    •  State child support and tax exemptions

    Job Listing

    Are you looking for a part-time job? The Seezeit Student Union offers a Job Listing (in German) where you can find student job offers in the region. Tip: Sign up for our email updates on job opportunities. We will inform you about current job openings in our area.

    Seezeit Job Listing

    Additional Government Assistance

    Mrs. Marlies Piper from the Seezeit Social Counseling Office can advise you on the following topics: