Welcome to the Center for International Students of the Universities of Applied Sciences in Baden-Württemberg


    In this section we have summarized the most frequently asked questions for you

    • Certifications

      Characeristics of a certification

      Beglaubigungen & Übersetzungen | uni-assist e.V.

      The official seal (top left image) must be visible on all sides. For this purpose, the corners are folded over, the pages are laid on top of each other in an offset manner and stamped with the official seal. In this case, the declaration of certification and the signature of the certifying person on only one page is sufficient.
      A notary certifies with string and embossed seal. In this case, the declaration and the signature of the notary on only one page is also sufficient.

      We cannot recognise certifications by translators.

      Where can I have documents certified?

      Certifications outside Germany:

          German embassies and consulates
          issuing institutions (e.g. schools, universities), if we receive the documents in a sealed envelope
          Apostilles from notaries only if Germany accepts apostilles from this country. You can find a list of these countries here  

      Certifications within Germany:

          Town halls/ citizens' offices
          District administrations/ local authorities
          State universities

      We do not recognise certifications from the following offices:

      Church organisations (e.g. parish offices), interpreters, health insurance companies, banks or the AStA.

    • German Language Skills

      German -language degree programs

      If you are applying directly to a German -language program, you will need to submit one of the following:

      • German Language Diploma of the "Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the States in the Federal Republic of Germany" - Second Level - or a language certificate recognized as equivalent by this organization.
      • Assessment test
      • DSH 2 or 3
      • TestDaF (at least 16 points) with an average of 4.0 or 5.0
      • Proof of German language skills which have been recognized by bilateral agreements or other agreements reached by the KMK and HRK as sufficient proof of language skills for admission to university- level degree programs.
      • the Großes and Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom ("big and small German language diplomas")
      • telc German C1 University
      • Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS) certificate (Goethe-Institut)
      • "Deutsche Sprachprüfung II" from the Sprachen- und Dolmetscher-Institut München for candidates whose first language is not German
      • ÖSD C2

      If you are attending an English-language degree program, please enquire at the university concerned whether you need to submit proof of German proficiency. In this case you do not need to submit proof of German proficiency to the Studienkolleg in order to get your certificates recognized.

      German language skills for the Studienkolleg

      In order to be accepted to the Studienkolleg or take the entrance test we require one of the following proofs of German proficiency:

      • German Language Diploma of the KMK - First Level
      • Certificate B1 of the Goethe Institute, if the examination was taken abroad
      • ÖSD Certificate B1
    • What are my chances of getting accepted to a university in Germany?

      Depending on the university, 8-10% of all study places in Baden-Württemberg are reserved for non-EU citizens. EU citizens apply to university the same way as German applicants.

      Students are accepted based on their grade point average on their final school reports. Due to the tuition fees for international students in Baden-Württemberg, the chances of beeing accepted are currently quite good.

    • What documents do I have to send to the Studienkolleg to have my certificates recognized?

      The educational certificates we require depends on the country where you completed your education or training. You can find an overview of possible certificates on page 2 of our application form. Please read our country-specific instructions before sending us your documents.

      You can only submit your application after you have received your school-leaving certificate; it is not possible to submit it before then. Only the language certificate can be submitted later.

    • I am not in Germany. Can I still take part in your exams?

      We are currently offering our entrance test online. Therefore, you can also participate if you are not yet in Germany.

    • Do I have to pay tuition?

      Yes. International students in Baden-Württemberg have to pay tuition fees of 1,500 euros per semester (plus a contribution of approx. 170 euros). Please only apply to the Studienkolleg at Konstanz University of Applied Sciences if you would also like to study in Baden-Württemberg and are able to pay tuition fees.

      The following students are exempt from tuition fees: Students with a German passport, students with a German parent, students with a passport from an EU country, recognised refugees.

      However, students attending the Studienkolleg, do not have to pay tuition, only an administrative fee of € 167.50 per semester.

    • Can I study in another federal state after the Studienkolleg in Konstanz?

      The degree certificate is recognized by all universities of applied sciences in Germany and by all universities in Baden-Württemberg. In practice, however, it is often not possible to transfer to another federal state. The reason for this is that you do not receive the certificate from the Studienkolleg (e.g. after the winter semester) until after the application deadline. At universities of applied sciences in Baden-Württemberg, you can submit your transcript at a later date, but not at other universities. This means: You have to study in Baden-Württemberg (and pay tuition fees) or you lose a semester.

    • What does the certificate recognition cost?

      There are no fees for having your certificates recognized. It is free of charge.