Welcome to the Center for International Students of the Universities of Applied Sciences in Baden-Württemberg

    Financing your studies

    Cost of living
    In Germany, you will need approximately 860 EUR per month to cover your living expenses. This amount includes the cost of accommodation, food, leisure activities, class materials, semester fees (not including tuition fees) and health insurance.

    Tuition fees in Baden-Württemberg
    International students from non- EU countries are required to pay 1,500 EUR tuition per semester for all degree programs at universities in Baden- Württemberg. However, you do not have to pay tuition fees when attending the Studienkolleg. You are only required to pay 162,50 EUR for the services of the Studierendenwerk and as a contribution to the administrative costs of the universities each semester.

    Health insurance
    All students are required to have health insurance coverage before starting their studies. The costs are currently about 60 EUR per month. If you have a study visa, the cheapest alternative is to get a private health insurance. A few well- known insurance companies include: Care Concept, Mawista student classic and the Würzburger Versicherungen.

    Link for health insurance information (currently only in German)

    There are a number of scholarships available for students who wish to persue their studies at universities in the state of Baden- Württemberg. The universities themselves do not award scholarships, these are provided by external organizations. Information about scholarships can also be obtained from the German embassies and consulates abroad. Political parties, church offices, associations, and large companies may also offer scholarships and student aid. Click here for an overview of agencies and organizations that offer student aid.The universities of the state of Baden-Württemberg do not award scholarships.

    The following provides an overview of some major providers of student grants and loans:

    DAAD Scholarships
    The DAAD offers funding for students studying in Germany. You can find detailed information and application forms on the DAAD website.

    Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG)Funding
    The BAföG is a system of federal grants and loans intended to support students during their studies. Foreign students are also eligible for BAföG students loans it they are:

    • Children of EU citizens, with a residence permit for a country in the EU.
    • A foreigner entitled to asylum, if one parent is German (under certain conditions).
    • A foreigner who has resided in Germany for a total of five years prior to the start of their studies and has been gainfully employed during this time or if one parent has resided in Germany for three of the last six years and has beengainfully employed during this time.

    In order to determine whether you are eligible for BAföG, please contact the responsible BAföG office. In Konstanz this is the Studierendenwerk Seezeit.

    Link to BAföG Office at the Seezeit Studierendenwerk Bodensee

    Infoform by Deutsches Studentenwerk