Welcome to the Center for International Students of the Universities of Applied Sciences in Baden-Württemberg

    Info Session: Future International & HTWG Students with/without Refugee Background

    On 16 May, online events will be held on the topics of document recognition and application procedures. Learn about the German higher education system and find out how you can finance your studies.

    Info and Webex link

    Apply for your studies in two steps

    Step 1: Get diplomas/ certificates recognized
    Step 2: Apply to your target universities

    Before you can apply to study at a university of applied sciences in Baden- Württemberg, you first need to have your certificates recognized. This recognition is done by us, the Center for international Studients (Studienkolleg) and is free of charge. You can apply to have your documents recognized at any time. However, please note, that the process often takes a few weeks. Keep this in mind in terms of the universities’ application deadlines.

    The Studienkolleg makes its decisions based on the guidelines from the Central Office for Foreign Education ("ZaB").

    If your previous diplomas / certificates do not entitle you to study at an institute of higher education, you have the option of gaining these prerequisites by attending the Studienkolleg’s two-semester preparatory programs.

    After completing this program, you must then pass a kind of final exam called the “Feststellungsprüfung” before you can apply to a university.
    Learn more about Studienkolleg

    International students at universities in Baden-Württemberg are required to pay tuition fees of 1,500 EUR per semester. Students from Germany/EU countries and refugee students are exempt from paying tuition.
    More information on tuition fees

    Application to have certificates recognized

    To get your certificates recognized plese send us the following documents by mail (Please note that we do not accept email application requests):

    - Application form
    - Curriculum vitae
    - A copy of your passport (no certification necessary)
    - Certified copies of your certificates*
    - Translations of your certificates, if they are not in English or French
    - Certified copies of your German language proficiency level

    *The educational certificates we require depends on the country where you competed your education or training. You can find an overview of possible certificates on page 2 of our application form. Please read our country-specific instructions before sending us your documents.

    The Studienkolleg keeps all the documents in your application file. So please do not send us originals. Even if you are applying to several universities you only need to file one single application. Once your documents have been recognized, we will send you two copies of the recognition certificate. In case you need more, you canhave them certified at an office that is authorized to issue such certifications (see link under "certified copies of your certificates" above).

    Please send your application to the following address:

    Hochschule Konstanz
    Alfred-Wachtel-Str. 8
    78462 Konstanz

    Processing Time for Applications

    currently about three weeks.

    Acknowledgement of Receipt

    You will not receive confirmation by e-mail or post that your application for certificate recognition has been received.

    Proof of German Proficiency

    German universities of applied sciences offer degree programs primarily in German (most) as well as English.

    German- language degree programs
    If you are applying to a German- language program, we require the following:

    • A German language certificate with a minimum of DSH-2 or TestDaF 4.0 etc. We will then send you a certificate that you can use to apply directly to the university of your choice.
    • If you do not send us a language certificate, we will provide you with a certificate for conditional admission, which you can use to apply. The universities then decide which language skills are required for admission.

    English- language degree programs

    If you are applying for an English- language program, you do not need to send us any language certificates, neither for German nor English. The universities will inform you what language proficiency the require.
    Information on German language skills for direct university admission


    Please note that there are a number of exceptions to the process described aboce. We have listed these here:

    The Studienkolleg supports students applying to universities of applied sciences only.

    Applications for "universities" (e.g. University of Konstanz)should be filed directly there. Please contact these universities for information.

    Applicants from non-EU countries applying for English-language bachelor's programs at the International Business (BSC) University of Applied Sciences Reutlingen should apply directly there.

    EU- Citizens who wish to study at the following universities of applied sciences need to apply directly to these schools:
    - Pforzheim
    - Karlsruhe or
    - Ravensburg-Weingarten

    German citizens with a foreign secondary school diploma who are applying for a bachelor's program should send their documents to the Regierungspräsidium Stuttgart
    There are however two exceptions:
    Students who have to attend the Studienkolleg ore are applying for a master's program. These students can send their documents to us at the Studienkolleg.

    Please note: The Central Office for Foreign Education also provides document recognitions services. Keep in mind however that this is a comparative classification, not a certificate recognition. It cannot be used for applications to universities.

    Foreign applicants with the following German high school diplomas can apply directly to universities:
    - German high school diploma (Abitur),
    - German university degree,
    - German university entrance qualification (Fachhochschulreife)