Sustainable Engineering and Future Technologies

    Application Process for International Students

    Information For International Students

    All international applicants who do not have a German university entrance qualifications must have their qualifications recognized by the Studienkolleg of the HTWG. You can find more information on their website:

    To get your certificates recognized please send the following documents by email to

    - Application form
    - Curriculum vitae
    - A copy of your passport (no certification necessary)
    - Copies of your certificates
    - Translations of your certificates, if they are not in English or French

    Note: The application without certified copies of the German Embassy/Consulate is ONLY valid for the application to SET/Sustainable Engineering and Future Technologies!


    Application deadlines:

    You can either start your studies in the winter semester (Deadline (extended): July 15) or in the summer semester (Deadline: November 01).


    Language Requirements:

    All applicants to the SET program must have B2 level English skills or higher. It is highly recommended, to have A2 German skills when they start their studies. Please contact for further information or assistance if you need a preparatory A2 German course.


    Application Process

    Applications for this programme are not submitted via the Hochschulstart system as is the case for other bachelor programmes, but exclusively via the university's own portal HIS-in-One  (only available in German). You can register and submit your application via this link under "Applicants/Bewerber*innen" from approximately 4 weeks before the application deadline. For the application for the next winter semester, the portal will be open from the 29th of April.

    Our english checklist will guide you through the application process:
    Checklist application SET (pdf)

    Please find the list of documents you´ll need for your application process in our statutes on admission and the university selection procedure for the bachelor degree program Sustainable Engineering and Future Technologies (SET) without preselection (ZuSEToVor) linked down below:

    Download Statutes on admission and the university selection procedure

    If you need help regarding your application process, feel free to contact our Student Advising.

    Tuition fees

    International students in the state of Baden-Württemberg are required to pay a tuition of 1,500 Euro per semester.

    Students from the European Union, the European Economic Area (EEA) as well as from HTWG Konstanz partner colleges and dual degree programs are exempted. Students who completed their high school degrees (Abitur) in Germany but do not have German citizenship (all nationalities) are also exempted. Refugees don't have to pay tuition fees either.

    You can find more information (in German) about tuition for foreign students at the website of the Student Advising Center at the HTWG Konstanz (in German).

    Learning German

    Preparatory German Course

    In addition to English skills (B2 level or higher) it is highly recommended, to have A2 German skills when they start their studies.

    For those that are interested, the University of Applied Sciences Konstanz offers a preparatory German course (level A2) that takes place during the four weeks before the start of the semester. Please contact for further information or assistance if you need a preparatory A2 German course.

    Living where others go on holiday!

    Housing / Dorms

    It is possible to find an affordable room in Konstanz. Just try to get started looking early so you have enough time to find the right place.

    General info about accomodations in Konstanz

    The Seezeit – Student Union Lake Constance operates 13 dorms in Konstanz with rooms for about 3,000 students.

    Application form for student housing

    More about Seezeit´s dorms and private accomodation´s database

    Work while you study

    Many students in Germany work in their spare time. Some of them might be research assistants (wissenschaftliche Hilfskraft – HiWi) in universities, research institutes or libraries, while others are waiters or babysitters. Students from abroad can also work in Germany alongside their studies. 

    Students from EU/EEA countries are allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week during the semester, just like German students are. There is no limit to how much they can earn during semester breaks. Anyone from a country outside the EU can work 120 full days or 240 half-days without the consent of the Federal Employment Agency (BA). Generally, either an internship or working as a self-employed person is an option while pursuing academic studies as an international student. However, it is important to note that any self-employment activity need consent of the competent Foreigners' Authority beforehand. Among other things, the Authority will determine whether the occupation will hinder or delay the student in the pursuit of their academic goals.

    You will find more information on the website of the Deutsches Studentenwerk and on the Study in Germany website.

    Where should I look for job openings?

    Career center and Start-up

    You can find find a number of job advertisements for work both on and off campus on the university’s notice boards

    • next to the canteen
    • in front of the canteen
    • in the departmental corridors

    as well as in various online portals:

    Seezeit job portal (in German)